Wednesday 30 July 2014

Character Aesthetic Research

To give me a better idea of how to illustrate the characters in my animation, I looked at various images and photos of knights, kings, wanted posters etc. I want to keep an element of historical truth to what I am illustrating so each section of the animation fits together and flows seamlessly.

Real and fabricated wanted posters

To keep with the time era, the image of Humpty Dumpty would need to a black and white drawn  / painted image. I also want to keep the faded / distressed look so a sense of it being set in the past is introduced at the very beginning.

Font examples to use on wanted poster


Clothing and armor a king would wear
What knights and towns folk would wear

The clothing and armor of the knights, the king and also Humpty Dumpty has to be carefully selected so nothing sticks out from the others. I looked at towns folk and what they would wear around the time kings and knights were in place to reflect what I should dress Humpty Dumpty with. 






The horses will be the most challenging aspect of my illustration as they are generally quite hard to draw and I don't particularly have much experience drawing them either. I wanted to have a reference that I can look at, or even trace, so I don't have to spend too much time getting it exactly how I want it. This way I can focus more on the animation quality.


Knights on horses with armor





No comments:

Post a Comment